How to Test Students Using Countdown
Back to Tutorials
Note: You must have an active subscription to access Countdown.
1. Login to your teacher account. You should see the Countdown page as soon as you are logged in.
2. Create a Countdown assignment that you want your students to do.
Make sure that Test mode is enabled. If it’s not, click the red “Edit” button to go in and create a new assignment with test mode enabled.
You can view the answer key to see the facts that they will be presented (just press the browser’s back button to return). If you would like them to be randomized, click the blue “Randomize” button.
3. Once the assignment has been created and you are ready to test your students on their math facts, ask your students to take out a sheet of paper.
Before running the program, instruct your students write down the answers to each math fact presented.
After the test is complete, you can either collect their papers and grade it yourself using the answer key, or you can let the program switch to practice mode showing the answers to the facts they were just tested on and grade their own papers.
4. Use a projector, SMART Board, Mondopad, or any other display your classroom has available to display the assigned math facts to the entire class.
5. Once you are ready for the practice session to begin, just click the green “Start” button. The program will present all the math facts with the answers until the assignment is complete.
If you need to pause it, you can at any time, just click on the “Pause” button, or if you need to stop the program, you can click on the “Home” link in the blue bar at the top.
6. When all the facts have been presented, a popup will notify you that the test has been completed.
7. Click “OK” on the popup to close it. When you do, the program will automatically switch to practice mode where the same math facts will be shown but this time with the answers. You can then have your students grade their own work.
If you would rather grade it yourself, you can click the “Pause” button and the “Home” link in the blue bar to stop the program. Download the answer key by clicking the “Answer Key” button and save the PDF of the answers to your computer. To return to the program, click your browser’s back button or close it to exit.